Monday, January 26, 2009

In Bruges - A Vintage Post

This post is actually one that I wrote quite awhile ago, but never quite finished. I pulled it ouf of the unpublished archive this evening, because I knew I had to post something, but couldn't quite make it work. So here is my first foray into Vintage Blogging:

I suppose this is officially my first blog post, because the others were kind of just an obligation I had to fulfill. For the time being, I'll probably be writing about fairly simple things being that I have neither the time nor the internet connection to be blogging constantly, but as part of my personal well-being, I need to have some sort of creative outlet, and so blogging it is.

Being that it is awards season, I've been watching a lot more movies than I normally would during the year, and in fact, prior to the last three weeks, I honestly can't remember the last film I saw in the theater. Recently, I've seen Revolutionary Road, Milk, and Slumdog Millionaire in the theater, and I began to remember how much I absolutely love movies in general, and movies in the theater specifically. But despite all that, I must admit that my favorite movie of 2008 (that I've seen so far, of course) is In Bruges.

This one I watched in the comfort of my own home, and I deeply regret that I didn't get a chance to see it in the theater. It is one of the finest black comedies I've ever seen, and the performances were stunning, particularly Colin Farrell, who plays a very confused hit man stuck in a small town in Belgium.

As unrealistic as the premise was, two hit men sent to Bruges to lay low after a job went wrong, the writing and the range of human emotion was spot on. I can hardly describe the plot without giving anything away, but if you haven't seen it, please do.


This film brought a little bit of magic into my life, and sometimes it is hard to remember that magic is afoot.

1 comment:

  1. This has been in my Netflix queue for quite some time. I really should bump it to the top!

    ReplyDelete