Thursday, July 23, 2009

The Importance of Being Honest

Please understand that when I say I want the truth, that is what I mean. It isn't so much that I like to hear things about how what you are doing is moving away from me and starting a life that does not include me at all. This isn't the moment I've always been dreaming of.

But if it's the truth, that's all I can handle.

I'm beginning to think that lying is something that people do. On a regular basis. As a way of dealing with things. I'm not mad about it, but it does confuse me quite a lot.

How am I supposed to relate to someone who constantly lies? What am I supposed to say? How to respond when I realize that I am being lied to?

When a person lies to you or distorts reality, he or she creates an uneven playing field. There is an unfair advantage when a person lies, because once the lie is introduced, an alternate reality is also introduced into the situation. What am I supposed to do with this? How is it possible to respond? Should I act on the basis that what I'm being told is the truth, or should I use my critical thinking skills to deduce that what I'm being told is a lie?

If the latter is the case, should I wait until the actual truth has been uncovered or should I simply act as though the initial premise is false?

One way or the other, the situation has become increasingly less simple to handle because I am not aware of what the actual situation that exists in reality is.

It might be ugly.

It might be mean.

It might be frightening.

It probably isn't what you want to hear coming out of your mouth.

Well, too bad.

Just do it.

Tell the truth. Tell the truth. Tell the truth.

And if you don't know what the truth is, figure it out.

And then tell it.

No comments:

Post a Comment