Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Return from Hiatus OR The Best Vacation EVER


Hello my dear friend(s). I am back from vacation, which incidentally was a vacation from blogging as well.

I was fortunate enough to have been able to take a trip to New Hampshire to visit my cousins and aunt and uncle and then travel on to Prince Edward Island, Canada.

To some people this might seem like a fairly boring vacation, but to me, that was the allure of it. For someone who has consistently been working at a job she hates for the last three months while trying to supplement her meager income by working part time for her father in the suburbs, generally resulting in a seven day work week, the lack of excitement was definitely the draw.

On the 31st of July, I left for New Hampshire and as soon as I got there, everything seemed instantly more enjoyable. I sat around and drank coffee all day, I read books, I listened to music, I debated the relative benefits of songs from Avenue Q (multiple times). I ate delicious New Hampshire food and walked around Manchester. I was able to view my cousin, Laura's films that she had completed throughout her junior year at Keene's film school (they were awesome - especially the claymation one). I got to hear all about my cousin, Alison's year of teaching English in China, which included many adventures, I agreed and disagreed with my cousin, Jade, on many issues, and I was able to see my cousin, Julia, play violin in a concert at her band camp (and also got a private concert in the living room while she practiced piano).

I got to have ice cream at Goldenrod. For those of you who have never had this distinct pleasure, I am sorry for you.

On Sunday the 2nd, we all piled in a van (pretty typical of my family) and made the long drive up to Prince Edward Island. We scared the customs officer.

When we finally arrived there, we were so happy to be out of the car after twelve hours of driving that we all decided to get back in the van and drive an hour to Charlottetown so that we could get Subway. Then we went back to the cabin to watch Anne of Green Gables on Wonderworks.

The next few days went by far too quickly, but I have decided that PEI just might be the most beautiful, natural, and peaceful place I've ever been. The potatoes there are the best I've ever tasted, everyone is friendly, and the scenery is absolutely breathtaking. I don't think I could let another fourteen years of my life pass without going back there.

One morning my sister and I got up early and went for a walk down the red sand streets and over the hills. We wandered around for about an hour and ended up behind someone's farm house. Standing there at the top of the hill looking at the old house and acres upon acres of nothing but plants and trees, I felt like I had traveled back in time. I never wanted to leave.

We came back down to New Hampshire and spent the next few days watching TV and going to the mall and checking out a Fisher Cats game (New Hampshire's minor league baseball team). It just reminded me of how much I miss the Northeast. Something about being there took me back to my childhood and to what I'm really like.

But coming home has reminded me that I can be happy here as well. And even during the commute downtown today on the crowded El train with all the crazy Chicagoans, I smiled to myself and thought what a beautiful day it was going to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment